Douglas Forest Protective Association

Since 1912

The Douglas Forest Protective Association was formed in 1912 and is responsible for providing wildfire prevention, detection and suppression on 1.6 million acres of private, county, state, Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Indian Affairs lands within the Douglas District.  Historically, DFPA suppresses about 100 fires per year which collectively burns approximately 4,000 acres.  Human caused fires account for roughly 75% of all wildfires within the Douglas District, with the two leading causes related to equipment use and debris burning.